IMSA: Wayne Taylor Racing Foiled For Second Consecutive Race

RaceChaser Staff Featured, WeatherTech 0 Comments

Wayne Taylor Racing ran into trouble for the second time in two races Sunday at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. (IMSA photo)

BOWMANVILLE, Ontario — A string of five straight wins to open the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season had brothers Ricky and Jordan Taylor looking simply unstoppable.

Now they look vulnerable, after lightning struck for the second time in a week and took the No. 10 Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi out of contention during Sunday’s Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

After an opening-lap incident ended the Taylor brothers’ five-racing winning streak and led to a sixth-place finish at last week’s Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen, an incident while leading the race with just 20 minutes remaining relegated them to a seventh-place finish.

Disappointment reigned after the team’s potential sixth victory in the first seven events fell by the wayside, with the No. 10 Cadillac DPi leading a race-high 73 laps and heading the field by more than 20 seconds with 20 minutes to go but being unable to reach the finish line first.

Contact and a subsequent spin into a tire barrier, while Jordan Taylor was trying to make his way past a pair of GTLM-class competitors who were battling side-by-side, took the car out of contention.

Taylor was looking to complete the pass to the right of the No. 4 Corvette driven Tommy Milner, when contact to the left rear of the No. 10 Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi sent both cars spinning off course. Taylor was able to continue in the lead but with significant damage to the rear bodywork of his race car.

It took just four caution laps for track workers to clean up the aftermath of the incident, but the pit lane was never opened before the race went back to green with 10 minutes remaining. That left Taylor and his wounded race car helplessly trying to get around the track safely under green while the rest of the field raced by.

A slow trip back to pit lane and subsequent repairs cost the team two laps and seven positions by the time Taylor returned to racing with less than seven minutes to go.

“I’m not completely sure what happened,” said Jordan Taylor. “I saw the Ford and the Corvette racing side-by-side ahead of me, so I went where there was some room. I’m not sure when we touched, whether it was when I turned in or if he got bumped by the Ford, or got moved over, but it’s obviously disappointing.”

Taylor was put in position to win when, while running second with 50 minutes remaining, a significant but brief rain shower sent the majority of teams to the pits for rain tires.

The No. 10 team was among those that gambled the showers would dissipate quickly, opting for a fresh set of racing slicks. As the race was about to go back to green, the rain had stopped and the sun reappeared, meaning that Jordan Taylor had a big lead by the time the rest of the field pitted five laps later.

“Our guys put us out front with strategy, calling the right race. We weren’t the fastest car but we were in a position to win it again. I have to thank these Konica Minolta Cadillac guys for that. It’s promising looking at the next few races that we’ve got one of the strongest cars out there and the strongest guys.”

“The race started really smooth, we were in control,” added Ricky Taylor. “I was looking forward to a good points day after the first two stints. Then the rain threw a wild one at us, but we picked the right strategy to stay on slicks.”

“It should have been a Cadillac 1-2-3. I am not sure what happened with the Corvette, looked like a wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time thing for Jordan. Just unlucky, but we lost minimal points on the day, so that’s a plus.”

True Speed Communications for Wayne Taylor Racing contributed to this story.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.