Ryan Blaney Joins Team Penske For 2018

RaceChaser Staff Cup, Featured 0 Comments

Ryan Blaney will move over to a third full-time car with Team Penske next year. (NASCAR photo)

MOORESVILLE, N.C. — Team Penske announced Wednesday that Ryan Blaney will join the organization as a full-time driver in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series beginning next season, as the team returns to a three-car operation in NASCAR’s premier series.

Blaney, who also signed a multi-year contract extension with the team, will pilot the No. 12 Ford Fusion beginning with the annual non-points Clash at Daytona Int’l Speedway in February.

Coinciding with Blaney’s move was the announcement that Paul Menard will fill Blaney’s seat in the Wood Brothers’ No. 21 Ford for 2018 and beyond.

“For some time now, we have wanted to bring Ryan in to run a third car for us, but things just needed to make sense from a timing and business perspective,” said team owner Roger Penske. “We have been working on making this a reality and 2018 is the right opportunity to make this move and return our organization to a three-car team. The benefits of having three full-time teams under our roof, along with the continued technical partnership with the Wood Bothers, will help us remain competitive in the ever-changing NASCAR landscape.”

Blaney made his MENCS debut in 2014 for Team Penske and has driven for Wood Brothers Racing full-time the last two seasons.

One of NASCAR’s rising young guns, Blaney earned his first-career Cup Series win earlier this season at Pocono Raceway, giving the Wood Brothers team its first Cup win since the 2011 season. Blaney also scored his first Cup Series pole this season at Kansas Speedway. He finished second in last year’s Rookie of the Year standings.

Blaney has been a part of Team Penske since 2012, has earned five NASCAR XFINITY Series wins for the team and was part of the No. 22 team’s three-straight XFINITY owners’ championships from 2013-2015.

“This is a huge opportunity for me and my career,” said Blaney. “I’ve always enjoyed racing whatever car I was in and trying to win each and every race. I’ve had some great moments with both Team Penske and the Wood Brothers over the last few years. I know for a fact I wouldn’t be where I am today without Roger (Penske), Eddie and Len (Wood) and the opportunities their organizations have given me.”

“I’m thrilled knowing that Brad (Keselowski) and Joey (Logano) are long-term teammates for me at Team Penske and Paul (Menard) will have input with our team now that he’s with the Wood Brothers organization. Hopefully we can go out there and win races and compete for championships year after year.”

Earlier this season, Team Penske announced that it signed Joey Logano to a multi-year contract through the 2022 season and beyond, and yesterday, the team announced it came to terms with Brad Keselowski for a multi-year agreement.

While the No. 12 Ford Fusion has made a handful of starts in the Cup Series over the last few years, Team Penske has not competed as a full-time, three-car team since the 2010 season with Keselowski, Kurt Busch and Sam Hornish Jr.

Despite the fact that the team has only run two full-time cars since the 2011 season, Team Penske has produced 40 Cup victories, including the 2015 Daytona 500, as well as the 2012 NASCAR Cup Series championship.

More details surrounding the No. 12 team, including sponsorship and crew chief, will be announced in the near future.

CREDIT: Team Penske

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.