SOUTHEAST: Sorrow Takes Fourth Greenville-Pickens Limited Late Model Win

Tom Baker Carolinas Racing, Featured, Other Late Models, Southeast, Street Stocks, Touring Series 0 Comments

'The Young One" Luke Sorrow in victory lane. (Haley Wilbanks/GPS photo)

‘The Young One” Luke Sorrow in victory lane.
(Haley Wilbanks/GPS photo)

EASLEY, S.C. — Luke Sorrow started second and led all but three laps of Saturday night’s limited late model feature en-route to his fourth win of the season at Greenville-Pickens Speedway.

Other winners on the night included Don Tavernia (Four-Cylinders), Eddie Ray (Renegades), Tim Sams (Super Stock) and Spencer Morgan (Pure Stock).

Blair Addis and Sorrow led the field to the green for the 50-lap limited late model main. Sorrow jumped off the outside to lead lap one before Phillip Peters spun his Advanced Prosthetics machine in turn two, bringing out the yellow flag.

Sorrow maintained the lead with Addis in various stages of pursuit until lap 30, when third-running R.J. West had a problem and brought the yellow back out again. Taylor Sorrow moved to third with Phillip Peters and Robbie Allison rounding out the top five at that point.

On the restart, Addis powered off the outside and led the next three laps before Luke Sorrow put his Vannoy Contruction machine back out front for good on the 34th round. He opened up an advantage of over four seconds en route to a comfortable victory over Addis.

Taylor Sorrow, Phillip Peters and Don Morgan, who survived a last lap outside groove challenge by Robbie Allison, rounded out the top five.

Alexx Breazele and Larry Nabors started in the front row for the 20-lap Renegade feature. Breazele scooted out front and opened up some ground, but the man on the move early was the No. 22 of “Downtown” Billy Brown, who was charging from his fifth starting spot and took the lead on lap 10. As Breazele kept Brown close, the pair began lapping slower cars.

With just three laps left, Breazele made a move in traffic and drove back by Brown in turns three and four, but before he could exit the corner, Brown made contact and the No. 88 of Breazele went around. Track officials moved Brown to the back of the field, but Breazele was forced to the pits with some damage.

This gave the lead to the No. 14 of “Fast Eddie” Ray for the lap 17 restart.  The question was, could Brown get back through the field and challenge for the win in just three laps?

When the green flag waved, Brown mashed the throttle and picked off two cars right away to take third. He quickly closed in on second place Nabors, and as the white flag began to wave, Brown passed him and left himself one lap to catch and pass Ray for the improbable comeback win.

As the pair raced down the back straightaway, Brown caught Ray and made slight contact on the entry of turn four, trying to get underneath Ray and beat him to the line.

He fell just short … by 57 ten-thousandths of a second!  Both cars parked in “Call Double Aught Bryan Ramey” victory lane to find out which of them won, and Ray remained as officials informed Brown he finished second.

Nabors, Robert Emory (subbing for son Bobby in the No. 56) and Wayne Waters rounded out the top five.

Sams led flag to flag to win the 20-lap super stock feature race, but the battle for second through fourth most of the race was exciting.

Stanley Pressley slowed on lap 13, necessitating a yellow flag that momentarily slowed Sams’ pace. The action picked up when green flag action resumed, as Dale Stancil and Ken Guthrie began to wage a battle for third place after Travis Cox took over second.

Stancil broke loose exiting turn four, tried to correct the car and when he slowed his pace to do so, Tyler Stephens got into the back of him with his brand new No. 6, causing Stancil to spin.

Sams stayed clear of all the action and went on to the victory over Cox, Guthrie, Stancil and T.J. Johnson.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.