SDS: McCreadie Rides The Cushion To Win Brett Hearn’s Big Show

RaceChaser Staff Super DIRTcar Series 0 Comments

MALTA, N.Y. — Though he hadn’t been in a big-block dirt modified since Super DIRT Week at Oswego Speedway last fall, Tim McCreadie shook the rust off, stole the spotlight and was the star of the show during Brett Hearn’s Big Show 9 on Tuesday night at Albany-Saratoga Speedway.

Though Larry Wight took the lead from Stewart Friesen on a lap 74 restart, it was McCreadie who pounded the cushion and made a lane, rising from fourth to the lead in three laps in his bid for the $10,000 winner’s share.

McCreadie led the final 23 laps uncontested to score the 22nd series win of his career and his first win since winning during the World Finals at The Dirt Track at Charlotte in November of 2011.

Friesen took second at the end, while Matt Sheppard passed Larry Wight for third when Wight jumped the cushion late in the race. Hearn rounded out the top-five.

“I just got lucky,” McCreadie said in victory lane. “Those guys were hunting the bottom … and I had been up there banging the cushion for probably 70 laps. I just figured the only shot I had was to try and go in above it into (Turn) 1 and it happened to stick. It could have easily went the other way, but we’re happy tonight.”

“I’ve been trying to run this race for a while and take some of Brett’s money,” McCreadie added with a grin. “He always makes more than us and it’s nice to take $10,000 from him once in a while.”

Wight started on the front row alongside Max McLaughlin for the 100-lap feature, driving his No. 99L to the lead at the drop of the green flag.

McCreadie was quickly on the move from sixth, using the same outside lane to take second from Friesen at lap 17.

Twenty laps in, Wight found his way into heavy lapped traffic as the race stayed green. At lap 22, Friesen took second back from McCreadie, while Wight was able to race freely through the traffic.

Friesen caught the leader on lap 42 and passed Wight to take over the lead on lap 46. Friesen then held the point as the first caution of the race waved at halfway, when Rich Scagliotta got turned around in turn two.

Restarting on lap 59, Friesen held off Wight’s charge, while Sheppard took third from McCreadie. The top-five maintained their spots, with Hearn in fifth, until the second and final caution at lap 68.

The final restart with 26 to go produced all the action, as Wight retook the lead from Friesen in the outside lane while McCreadie made his move from fourth to second, taking the lead for good three laps later.

With eight laps to go, Wight jumped the cushion while running second and fell to fourth as both Friesen and Sheppard raced past him.

Friesen caught McCreadie over the final five laps, but couldn’t get close enough to regain the top spot.

“Our Halmar car was good on the long run, which is cool,” Friesen said. “It’s something we haven’t really had all year. Second to a guy like that, I mean there aren’t too many guys that can run a curb like that and put it where he needed. We’ll take a good second. We had a great long run car and it was good. I’m proud of everybody.”

Sheppard held on for a third-place finish, his fifth consecutive top-five to start the season, but it was fourth-finishing Wight who was most surprised at McCreadie’s speed on the top groove.

“I never thought anyone could get the top to work with it that far out and as nasty as the cushion was, but he must have been free enough where he could lean on it,” Wight said. “It seemed to be that if I went up there it would pull the nose and the car was a handful up there.”

The Super DIRTcar Series returns to action at Utica-Rome Speedway on July 2 for the New Yorker 100.

Full race results can be viewed on the next page…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.