BARBERVILLE, Fla. — Official Release — World of Outlaws Media Photo —
Shane Clanton’s 2014 struggles are no more than a distant memory.
Continuing his 180-degree transformation from a season ago, Clanton, 39, of Zebulon, Ga., outdueled Dale McDowell of Chickamauga, Ga., late in Friday’s DIRTcar Nationals main event at Volusia Speedway Park to earn his third World of Outlaws Late Model Series victory of the season. Clanton’s triumph marked his third of the week at Volusia’s 44th annual DIRTcar Nationals as he stretched his lead in the WoO LMS standings to 82 points.
“God dog this feels good,” said Clanton, who has a perfect six top-five finishes in six WoO LMS events this season. “Hats off to (car builder) Marshall Green and (car owner) Ron Davies and everyone that helps on this program. It’s been a long road. Hopefully we can keep on this road because we’re loving it.”
Clanton earned $10,100 in steering his Weldbank Energy-sponsored Capital Race Car to victory lane for the second straight night at Volusia’s half-mile oval. He took the checkereds 1.479 seconds ahead of McDowell’s Team Dillon Racing Warrior. Chub Frank of Bear Lake, Pa., continued his resurgence with a third-place finish, while former WoO LMS champions Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, Tenn., and Billy Moyer of Batesville, Ark., rounded out the top five.
Friday’s victory didn’t come nearly as easy as Clanton’s dominating performance on Thursday night. Starting from pole, Clanton cruised through the early portions of the 50-lap race before the first caution with 21 laps complete erased his massive half-track lead.
The seventh-starting McDowell took advantage of the restart to grab second from Darrell Lanigan of Union, Ky., and quickly moved to challenge Clanton for the lead. After chasing Clanton for 10 laps, McDowell completed the pass on lap 31 when Clanton jumped the turn-four cushion.
As McDowell pulled away, Clanton lost second to Frank and was in danger of dropping ever farther back before the second of the race’s two cautions gave him a much-needed respite on lap 36.
The break in the action was just what Clanton needed to get his No. 25 machine back in gear. He quickly cleared Frank for second on the restart and after a side-by-side battle with McDowell, completed a high-side pass to regain the lead on lap 38.
“Dale made me get up on the wheel,” Clanton said of the battle with his fellow Peach State driver. “I was driving too hard and sealed the right-rear tire. Luckily that caution came out and let me cool it off and get the edges back cool so it would go again.”
McDowell fell just short of claiming his first WoO LMS victory since 2005, but his runner-up effort continued a solid week at Volusia for the 48-year-old former series regular.
“The caution killed us,” said McDowell, who enters Saturday’s DIRTcar Nationals finale with a pair of runner-up finishes and a sixth-place result in the three events he’s entered so far this week. “It kinda dirtied up his groove up top when we ran that long green. Under the caution, it packed it back down. I knew where he was going, but I was a little too tight to go up there.
“We’re happy with a top three a couple of times already. We’ll work on it a little bit more for tomorrow night and see if we can go one spot better.”
The third-place finish continues Frank’s string of improved performances since switching to a Longhorn Chassis at the start of the season. Looking to end a more than five-year WoO LMS winless streak, the 52-year-old series veteran is pleased with the performance of his new car.
“This car’s been really good,” Frank said. “We ran third over at Ocala and ran some top fives and stuff. We’re real happy with the car and the way things are gelling. We just gotta keep it going.”
Lanigan, the three-time and defending WoO LMS champion, slid back to sixth at the finish after charging from his ninth starting spot all the way to second in just six laps. Eric Wells of Hazard, Ky., logged his best WoO LMS finish of the season with a seventh-place effort, while Brandon Sheppard of New Berlin, Ill., advanced from 22nd to eighth. Former WoO LMS champion Rick Eckert of York, Pa., finished ninth with three-time series titlist Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va., taking 10th.
The race was slowed on just two occasions with the first yellow flag appearing when Chase Junghans of Manhattan, Kan., slowed on lap 21. Jonathan Davenport of Blairsville, Ga., caused the second caution when he slowed from the fourth position with damage to the right front of his race car.
The DIRTcar Nationals conclude on Saturday with another $10,000-to-win World of Outlaws Late Model Series event. Saturday’s slate features a complete program of time trials, heat races, Last-Chance Showdowns and the 50-lap main event. The Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds will also contest a complete program. More information is available at www.DIRTcarNationals.com.
Results of World of Outlaws Late Model Series DIRTcar Nationals at Volusia Speedway Park (Finishing Position/Start/Driver/Laps Completed/Money Won):
1. (1) Shane Clanton/50 $10,100
2. (7) Dale McDowell/50 $5,000
3. (6) Chub Frank/50 $3,050
4. (2) Scott Bloomquist/50 $2,600
5. (10) Billy Moyer/50 $2,150
6. (9) Darrell Lanigan/50 $1,850
7. (4) Eric Wells/50 $1,450
8. (22) Brandon Sheppard/50 $1,300
9. (19) Rick Eckert/50 $1,450
10. (11) Josh Richards/50 $1,250
11. (21) Morgan Bagley/50 $1,100
12. (3) Ricky Weiss/50 $1,550
13. (13) Jimmy Owens/50 $950
14. (26) Tim McCreadie/50 $1,150
15. (24) Ivedent Lloyd Jr./49 $900
16. (12) Mason Zeigler/48 $1,050
17. (27) Chase Junghans/48 $160
18. (25) Frank Heckenast Jr./48 $800
19. (26) Boom Briggs/47 $160
20. (18) Brandon Overton/45 $700
21. (5) Jonathan Davenport/36 $700
22. (23) Earl Pearson Jr./34 $700
23. (17) Don O’Neal/20 $700
24. (15) Kenny Pettyjohn/20 $700
25. (16) Casey Roberts/14 $725
26. (14) Jared Landers/13 $700
27. (8) Walker Arthur/13 $700
28. (20) Kent Robinson/11 $700
Time of Race: 21 Mins., 42 Secs.
Margin of Victory: 1.479 Secs.
Yellow Flags: Two (laps 21 & 36)
Lap Leaders: Clanton (1-30; 38-50); McDowell (31-37)
Provisional Starters: Heckenast, McCreadie, Junghans, Briggs.
WoO LMS ‘Bonus Bucks’ Winner: Weiss ($500)
WoO LMS ‘Rookie of the Race’ Winner: Zeigler ($250)
Ohlins Shocks Time Trial Results (Position/No./Driver/Hometown/
1. 25-Shane Clanton, Zebulon, Ga., 15.717
2. 87-Walker Arthur, Forrest, Va., 15.834
3. 29-Darrell Lanigan, Union, Ky., 15.854
4. 21-Billy Moyer, Batesville, Ark., 15.882
5. 6-Jonathan Davenport, Blairsville, Ga., 15.922
6. 18-Eric Wells, Hazard, Ky., 15.923
7. 85-Mark Dotson, Cameron, Mo., 15.949
8. 16-Tyler Bruening, Decorah, Iowa, 15.966
9. 20-Jimmy Owens, Newport, Tenn., 15.984
10. 7v-Rick Eckert,York, Pa., 16.253
11. 77-Jordan Yaggy, Rochester, Minn., 16.316
12. 21D-Dan Stone, Thompson, Pa., 16.330
13. 1-Earl Pearson Jr., Jacksonville, Fla., 16.377
14. 777-Jared Landers, Batesville, Ark., 16.433
15. 5-Don O’Neal, Martinsville, Ind., 16.435
16. 14m-Morgan Bagley, Longview, Texas, 16.477
17. 15-Donny Schatz, Fargo, N.D., 16.538
18. 40B-Kyle Bronson, Brandon, Fla., 16.808
19. 2-Dennis Franklin, Gaffney, S.C., 16.869
20. 18c-Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., 16.956
21. 4ds-Chad Hollenbeck, Montrose, Pa., 16.962
22. 15-Steve Francis, Ashland, Ky., 17.055
23. 28-Dennis Erb Jr., Carpentersville, Ill., 17.074
24. 58-Mark Whitener, Middleburg, Fla., 18.542
1. 17m-Dale McDowell, Chickamauga, Ga., 15.747
2. 0-Scott Bloomquist, Mooresburg, Tenn., 15.747
3. 1*-Chub Frank, Bear Lake, Pa., 15.828
4. 7-Ricky Weiss, Headingly, Manitoba, 15.862
5. 38-Kenny Pettyjohn, Millsboro, Del., 15.909
6. 101-Casey Roberts, Toccoa, Ga., 15.947
7. 99jr-Frank Heckenast Jr., Frankfort, Ill., 15.955
8. 25z-Mason Zeigler, Chalk Hill, Pa., 15.980
9. 2s-Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., 15.992
10. 7R-Kent Robinson, Bloomington, Ind., 16.068
11. B5-Brandon Sheppard, New Berlin, Ill., 16.091
12. 11R-James Rice, Verona, Ky., 16.131
13. 22-Gregg Satterlee, Rochester Mills, Pa., 16.141
14. 76-Brandon Overton, Evans, Ga., 16.222
15. 1-Josh Richards, Shinnston, W.Va., 16.224
16. 99B-Boom Briggs, Bear Lake, Pa., 16.264
17. 21-Ivedent Lloyd Jr., Ocala, Fla., 16.271
18. 39-Tim McCreadie, Watertown, N.Y., 16.399
19. 201-Billy Ogle Jr., Knoxville, Tenn., 16.404
20. 14-Tyler Clem, St. Petersburg, Fla., 16.518
21. 79-Mike Altobelli, Saxton, Pa., 16.665
22. 72-Michael Norris, Sarver, Pa., 16.749
23. 11-Austin Smith, Cedartown, Ga., 16.873
Heat No. 1 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Clanton, Davenport, Lanigan, Owens, O’Neal, Pearson, Yaggy, Dotson, Schatz, Hollenbeck, Erb, Franklin.
Heat No. 2 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Wells, Arthur, Moyer, Landers, Eckert, Bagley, Junghans, Bruening, Francis, Stone, Bronson, Whitener.
Heat No. 3 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): McDowell, Frank, Richards, Pettyjohn, Scott, Lloyd, Sheppard, Smith, Satterlee, Ogle, Altobelli, Heckenast.
Heat No. 4 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Bloomquist, Weiss, Zeigler, Roberts, Overton, Robinson, Briggs, McCreadie, Clem, Norris, Rice.
B-Main No. 1 (10 laps – Top 3 Transfer): O’Neal, Eckert, Bagley, Pearson, Junghans, Yaggy, Bruening, Bronson, Francis, Schatz, Stone, Dotson, Whitener, Hollenbeck, Franklin, Erb.
B-Main No. 2 (10 laps – Top 3 Transfer): Overton, Robinson, Sheppard, Lloyd, Scott, Briggs, McCreadie, Satterlee, Heckenast, Norris, Ogle, Rice, Smith, Clem. DNS: Altobelli.
World of Outlaws Late Model Series Contingency Award Winners (awards presented to noted finisher/qualifier or next highest displaying decal):
Ohlins Shocks ($50 cash to fast qualifier): Clanton
Comp Cams ($50 certificate to A-Main winner): Clanton
MSD Ignition ($50 cash to A-Main winner): Clanton
Quartermaster ($100 certificate to A-Main winner): Clanton
Wrisco (three sheets of aluminum/certificate to A-Main winner): Clanton
Mobil 1 ($50 cash to 4th-place finisher in A-Main): Moyer
JE Pistons ($50 cash to 5th-place finisher in A-Main): Moyer
Lincoln Welders ($50 cash to 6th-place finisher in A-Main): Wells
VP Racing Fuels ($50 cash to 8th-place finisher in A-Main): Eckert
Edelbrock ($50 cash to 9th-place finisher in A-Main): Eckert
Comp Cams ($50 cash to 10th-place finisher in A-Main): Richards
Cometic ($50 cash to 12th-place finisher in A-Main): Weiss
JRI Shocks ($50 cash to 13th-place finisher in A-Main): Lloyd
Superflow Dynos ($50 cash to 14th-place finisher in A-Main): McCreadie
Quartermaster ($25 certificate to 15th-place finisher in A-Main): Lloyd
JE Pistons (one set of rings certificate to 16th-place finisher in A-Main): Junghans
Quartermaster ($50 certificate to 19th-place finisher in A-Main): Briggs
Mobil 1 (20 percent certificate to 20th-place finisher in A-Main): Roberts
JE Pistons (one set of rings certificate to 21st-place finisher in A-Main): Davenport
MSD Ignition ($25 cash to 24th-place finisher in A-Main): Roberts
QA1 ($50 to driver with fastest lap of the night): Frank
Arizona Sports Shirts ($100 certificate to highest-finishing non-WoO driver): McDowell
2015 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Point Standings as of Feb. 20 – Six A-Mains completed (rank/driver/points/deficit to leader):
1. Shane Clanton 882
2. Darrell Lanigan 800 (-82)
3. Josh Richards 798 (-84)
4. Morgan Bagley 788 (-94)
5. Chub Frank 786 (-96)
6. Frank Heckenast Jr. 766 (-116)
7. Tim McCreadie 756 (-126)
8. Brandon Overton 734 (-148)
9. Chase Junghans 724 (-158)
9. (tie) Rick Eckert 724 (-158)
11. Boom Briggs 708 (-174)
11. (tie) Eric Wells 708 (-174)
13. Mason Zeigler 662 (-220)
14. Jordan Yaggy 626 (-256)