By Robert Walden – Volunteer Speedway Media/Public Relations – BULLS GAP, Tenn. (Aug. 3) — Billy Ogle Jr. of Knoxville passed Vic Hill for the lead on lap 34 and once out front he never looked back en route cruising to the $5,000 Southern All Star Racing Series Herman Collins/Dewey “Red” Ledford Memorial victory Saturday night at Volunteer Speedway.
The top-eight from qualifying locked into the 50-lap main event. Stacy Boles was quickest in Group A qualifying at 12.379, followed by Chad Ogle, Billy Ogle Jr. and Mark Douglas. Hill was the WhitePerformance.com overall fastest out of Group B with a time of 12.342, followed by Bryan Hendrix, Riley Hickman and Steve Casebolt.
Mack McCarter and Barrett Lowe each won PPM Racing Products Last Chance Showdowns.
Hill grabbed the lead at drop of the green over Boles, Hendrix, Hickman and Casebolt. The event’s first caution waved on lap 5 when Jerry Williams Jr. spun in the fourth turn.
Hill powered back out into the lead on the restart over Boles and Hendrix. But making a charge from his fifth-starting position was Billy Ogle Jr., as he got around Hendrix for the third spot on lap 9 between turns one and two. Hendrix lost fourth in the running order to Mark Douglas just one circuit later on lap 10.
Following another double-file restart on lap 13, both Douglas and Hendrix lost positions to Casebolt and Chad Ogle. With Hill holding a comfortable advantage over Boles out front, Billy Ogle Jr. was pressuring Boles for second. Racing off the fourth turn on lap 20, Billy Ogle Jr. got around Boles and set his sights ahead on leader Hill.
With Hill catching heavy lapped traffic on lap 28, Billy Ogle Jr. closed to his rear bumper. The duo raced side-by-side from lap 30 until on lap 34 when Billy Ogle Jr. moved into the lead. He began to pull away from Hill and Boles.
Chad Ogle got around Casebolt to move into fourth place on lap 36 as they raced off turn two. A late race caution on lap 45, when Josh Henry slowed between turns one and two, tightened the field for a five-lap sprint to the checkers.
But Billy Ogle Jr., driving the Larry Garner-owned Massey Electric Co./Stowers CAT/Cherokee Millwright & Mechanical/Blount Excavating/GEO Services – Geotechnical & Materials Engineers/Al Blankenship Enterprises/Vic Hill Race Engines/VP Racing Fuel/David Bryant Motorsports/Rocket Chassis/No. 201 Chevrolet Camaro, would not be denied a visit to victory lane as he recorded the win over Hill, Boles, Ogle and Casebolt.
Jerry Broyles of Jonesborough grabbed the lead over Jensen Ford and Bobby Mays at start of the 25-lap Fastrak Racing Series sanctioned Pro (Crate) Late Model feature. Caution waved on lap 2, when John Tweed and Chris Chandler got together and spun along the backstretch exiting turn two.
Just four circuits back under green, teammates Tim Maupin and Dale Ball tangled, with Maupin running into the rear of Ball sending him spinning after losing brakes entering the first turn. Besides Ball and Maupin, several cars were collected including Greg Burchett, Brad Dyer, Doug Price, Ricky Presley, Richard Adkins, Dennis Stiles, Hugh Scalf and Chandler.
Back under green Broyles was riding out front, though Ford continued sticking the nose of his car under Broyles racing off the corners. But Broyles drove a flawless race and never opened the door to allow Ford to get around him, leading flag-to-flag for his second straight win. Finishing behind Broyles and Ford were Mays, Mike Smith and Tim Byrd.
Completing the top 10 finishers were Douglas, Hendrix, Mark Vineyard, Allen Champ and Lowe.
Jesse Helton of Rogersville, 2007 Modified Hobby track champion, jumped into the lead over Jamie Whitt and Jon Cook on the start of the 20-lap feature. Cook’s race ended on lap 2 when he spun and hit the wall, while Whitt looped his mount on lap 6 in turn two to bring out the caution.
While making his way back up through the field, Whitt had a right-front tire go down at end of the front straightaway on lap 13 and slammed the outside guardrail to end his race. But the race belonged to Helton, who led flag-to-flag for the victory over Ray Jarnigan, Austin Atkins, Mike Mays and Kaleb Trent.
Randy Dykes of Newport captured his second consecutive Mini Stock victory over Shawn Henry, Brad Dyer and Brandon Johnson.
SOUTHERN ALL STAR RACING SERIES – HERMAN COLLINS/DEWEY “RED” LEDFORD MEMORIAL 50 – $5,000 TO WIN
Showing Finish Position, Driver Name, Car Number, Hometown, Laps Completed In Parentheses, Money Earned
1. Billy Ogle Jr. #201-Knoxville, TN (50) $5,000
2. Vic Hill #1-Mosheim, TN (50) $2,500
3. Stacy Boles #11B-Clinton, TN (50) $1,200
4. Chad Ogle #10-Sevierville, TN (50) $1,000
5. Steve Casebolt #c9-Richmond, IN (50) $800
6. Mark Douglas #52D-Knoxville, TN (50) $700
7. Bryan Hendrix #5-Knoxville, TN (49) $600
8. Mark Vineyard #4-Powell, TN (49) $550
9. Allen Champ #14-Morristown, TN (49) $500
10. Barrett Lowe #1-Asheville, NC (49) $475
11. Mike Weeks #22-Friendsville, TN (49) $450
12. Bret Holmes #H2-Munford, AL (48) $400
13. Chuck Laney #91-Sevierville, TN (48) $350
14. Josh Henry #25-Newport, TN (44) $300
15. Mark Rosner #17-Rockford, TN (21) $300
16. Travis Greer #11g-Marion, VA (20) $300
17. Forrest Trent #23-Talbott, TN (20) $300
18. Mack McCarter #71-Gatlinburg, TN (16) $300
19. Josh Driskill #B00-Newport, TN (13) $300
20. Jerry Williams Jr. #28-Greeneville, TN (11) $300
21. Riley Hickman #R1-Chattanooga, TN (8) $300
22. David Crabtree #c5-Maryville, TN (8) $300
Did Not Start: Chris Chandler #8-Weaverville, NC
Yellow Flags: 4 (Laps 5, 8, 12, 45)
Red Flags: None
Lap Leaders: 2 (Hill 1-33, Ogle, Jr. 34-50)
Time of Race: 30 minutes, 56 seconds
White Performance.com Overall Top Qualifier: Vic Hill 12.342
Series Provisionals: None
JT Kerr Racing Equipment Hard Charger of the Race: Allen Champ (started 15th- finished 9th: advanced 6 positions)
ARbodies Last Man on the Lead Lap: Mark Douglas (finished 6th)
PPM Racing Products Last Chance Showdown #1: 1) Mack McCarter, 2) Mark Vineyard, 3) David Crabtree, 4) Allen Champ, 5) Bret Holmes, 6) Travis Greer, 7) Forrest Trent, (DNS – Chris Chandler)
PPM Racing Products Last Chance Showdown #2: 1) Barrett Lowe, 2) Mike Weeks, 3) Josh Henry, 4) Mark Rosner, 5) Chuck Laney, 6) Josh Driskill, (DNS – Jerry Williams, Jr.)
PRO LATE MODEL (25 laps)
1) Jerry Broyles #72; 2) Jensen Ford #83; 3) Bobby Mays #19; 4) Mike Smith #4; 5) Tim Byrd #24; 6) Forrest Trent #23; 7) Brad Dyer #17; 8) Hugh “Wishbone” Scalf #56; 9) Richard Adkins #73; 10) Brent Hensley #70; 11) Chris Chandler #8; 12) Dennis Stiles #00s; 13) Tyler Dixon #00; 14) Dale Ball #2; 15) Tim Maupin #T2; 16) Greg Burchett #5; 17) Doug Price #p4; 18) Ricky Presley #17; 19) John Tweed #5; 20) Ricky Moore #75
MODIFIED HOBBY (20 laps)
1) Jesse Helton #28; 2) Ray Jarnigan #77; 3) Austin Atkins #14; 4) Mike Mays #30; 5) Kaleb Trent; 6) Jesse Wilder #79; 7) Roger Hunter #711; 8) Landon Williams #25w; 9) Jamie Whitt #1; 10) Terry Dean #47; 11) Chuck Kilian #96; 12) Jon Cook #0z
MINI STOCK (10 laps)
1) Randy Dykes #111; 2) Shawn Henry #25; 3) Brad Dyer #0; 4) Brandon Johnson #B01 – Did Not Start: Chris Brady #55