FORT WAYNE, Ind. — Audio, story and photo by Managing Editor Jacob Seelman for Speed77 Radio and Race Chaser Online —
Erick Rudolph was the last car to time trial Saturday in the winged 600cc midget class at the Rumble in Fort Wayne, and he made a resounding statement on his qualifying run.
Rudolph clocked a blistering lap of 7.927 seconds in his No. 22 Lafler Chassis mount to lay claim to the fast time award, knocking off Ben Quinones on his second and final lap.
“From years past it seems like this place has a little bit more grip,” Rudolph observed after climbing from his car. “(The car) seems to be bicycling a little bit more than usual but it’s fast and we’ll go out in the heats and see what we can do with it.”
The pair were the only two drivers to dip below the 8-second mark.
Quinones’ lap of 7.961 seconds was good enough for the runner up spot on the time sheets, with Bill Dunham two tenths off in third at an 8.185 seconds.
Brad Lamberson (8.217) and Matt Farnham (8.271) rounded out the fast five in qualifying.
Fourteen cars attempted to take time, with one additional car — the No. 94 of John Ivy, the all-time winningest Rumble driver in any class — unable to take time during the session.
Audio with fast timer Erick Rudolph:
Winged 600cc Modified Midget Qualifying Results
1. Erick Rudolph, 22, Lafler, 7.927
2. Ben Quinones, 20, APS, 7.961
3. Bill Dunham, 84, T&E, 8.185
4. Brad Lamberson, 19, Lamberson, 8.217
5. Matt Farnham, 7f, Farnham, 8.271
6. Cap Henry, 17, Henry, 8.292
7. Drew Dorsett, 11b, Sager, 8.296
8. Ginny Quinones, 007, APS, 8.337
9. Chase Ridenour, 11r, 8.422
10. Tyler Fitzpatrick, 57, Fitzpatrick, 8.485
11. Mark Zumbrun, 35z, Zumbrun, 8.523
12. Rusty Strausbaugh, 29, Strausbaugh, 8.571
13. Howard McCormick, 26, Sager, 8.767
14. A.J. Lesiecki, 14, AJD, 9.401
15. John Ivy, 94, Henry, NT